In 2003, we were very kindly given some money to set up a dedicated Lurcher rescue, rather than taking in the odd waif and stray, and Lurcher Link was officially born.
The aim of Lurcher Link is to HELP LURCHERS IN DISTRESS..... both through Lurcher Link rescue itself and by acting as a point of contact for rescues, dog wardens, vets, stray centres and the public. Many Lurchers are destroyed because stray pounds are full and their local rescues have no room. Yet in other parts of the country people are looking for Lurchers to rehome and because of this we act as a kind of "Dating Agency" for Lurchers, trying to find the right dog for the right family, from ANY rescue, to make space for other Lurchers to come into rescue and to save these dogs from being euthanised.
We also take in and rehome Lurchers from Put To Sleep situations ourselves - some of these are "Death Row Cases" i.e. dogs who everyone else has given up on and we are their last chance. We also act as advisors to people who are newcomers to Lurchers, have behavioural problems with their dogs or just need to share their Lurchery problems.
What We've Achieved
- Over the last 15 years, we have rehomed over 800 Lurchers, many of which would otherwise been put to sleep.
- We also try to offer advice to people who are new to the world of Lurchers and help anyone who is experiencing behavioural problems with their dog - often through our affiliated behaviourists.
- Through our fundraising efforts, we have managed to build our own small kennel block at our HQ in Halifax, which can house up to 18 adult dogs
- We also have a small, shaded exercise pen which is fully secure with 8ft fences. This can be used for meet and greets with potential new owners and their dogs, as well as allowing dogs some free running space and off lead training
- We have a thriving on-line community both on Facebook and the Lurcher Link Forum
All photography provided by members of Lurcher Link